Trigonometry Cairn

Erected in 1853, the Cairn is on the exit road from the Cross Reserve.

All surveys carried out in the Macedon Ranges originated from this point.

The Cairn is the second oldest structure in the area and was described in the Argus of 28 December 1871 as “a great central landmark, visible over the extent of the colony formed a very important trig station, a fact which is still evidenced by the substantial stone pillar some 20 feet high, which with its surrounding framework of timber”.

Only the stone pillar from the original structure remains.

Address: Relay Station, Mount Macedon, 3441

Source: monumentaustralia.org.au